Cornwall Airport Newquay has completed a major overhaul of its onsite car parks to improve the overall experience for passengers using the Airport parking facilities. The Car Park upgrades come on the back of 4 consecutive years of double digital growth, with 2017 recorded as the busiest year ever for Cornwall’s Airport.
The improvement works include the introduction of a barrierless entry/exit system, a redesign of the East Car Park and an expansion of the dedicated drop-off/pick-up area in the West Car Park. The latest improvements build upon the expansion of the West Car Park which was completed last year.
Here’s what you need to know:
- No more barriers or tickets. The barriers have been replaced with an ANPR camera solution so the process of entry and exit to/from the car parks will become a much more seamless process. Simply drive in and park up, and pay before you leave.
- APCOA solution. The new car park systems are operated and managed by APCOA Parking (UK) Limited.
- Increased payment options. In addition to the existing online advance bookings and pay-on-foot options you can now pay by phone or using the app with APCOA Connect.
- Enlarged drop-off/pick-up zone. The dedicated area for those dropping off or collecting friends or family has been increased within the West Car Park.
- Improved design of the East Car Park. To avoid congestion around the entry point to the car park, the exit has now been moved to the opposite end providing a one way traffic system.
- 30 minutes free parking. The new system allows for 30 minutes (reduced from 60 minutes) free parking across the Airport Car Parks. Upon entering either of the Airport Car Parks therefore there is a grace period of half an hour before any parking fee becomes due.
- Book before you fly. Pre-booking your parking online at Cornwallairportnewquay.com is still the cheapest way to book your parking for stays of more than 24hrs with savings of up to 30% from the on-site charges.
With continued growth expected at Cornwall Airport Newquay in the coming years, the new system will also allow for further car park expansion in the future ensuring that the car park infrastructure at the Airport keeps up with demand.
Commenting on the project, Airport Managing Director Al Titterington said: “The old barrier system has caused many problems with the salt, windy and wet weather that we are exposed to here on the North Cornwall coast interfering with the functionality and performance of the system. The regular failure of the system, the inconvenience this has caused to passengers and as the Airport has grown meant that we needed to upgrade the technology with an innovative solution which not only gave greater resilience but one which would
improve the passenger experience. APCOA have provided us with a parking solution that will not only stand up to the elements, but provide the level of service and experience that our passenger’s do and should expect.”
Mr Titterington added: “At the same time the reconfiguration of the car parks will improve the vehicular flow and a new exit in the East Car Park will provide better egress to the highway”.